June 6, 2010

Couch to 5K

Just finished Week I of Couch-to-5K, a nine-week running program that trains a beginner to run a 5K. I'm slightly embarrassed to be doing such a baby-step program, however, for the first time in a while, I am enjoying working out. The first week was refreshing and therapeutic.

"I run so I can eat."
–Delightfully accurate quote, discovered by Megan

I've always hated running, and I think it's because it was the norm for my high school soccer coaches to push us to the max from day one, rather than gradually building our endurance. This was a good way to get us in shape for the season, but it left me thinking that running (just for the sake of running) is miserable. Now I'm (hopefully) learning that it doesn't have to be. It's possible to enjoy running by easing into it.

Secondly, I learned to work out by having coaches tell me what to do, and I had a team to go through it with me. Since I haven't been on a team in years, I find it hard to push myself without that support. Having this podcast tell me exactly what to do each week (and each minute) is very helpful so far. If you're interested in the podcast I'm using, check it out.

I've only completed Week I so far, which was a piece of cake (or anti-cake, depending on how you look at it). Looking forward to Week II! And by week IX, I should be able to comfortably run for 30 minutes straight. Wahoo!

No comments: