April 4, 2010

Week 3: Seed Sprouting


This weekend marks the beginning of week three — 15 days since planting.

This morning the first parsley sprouts snuck up and out of the soil. And after some very close inspection, I think I see a pepper sprout just about to spring up. That means everything has sprouted! It's alive!!

I think it's time to start hunting for some pots and buckets. I like the way these buckets (from here) are wrapped in burlap for a uniform earthy look, however, I'm not sure all of my containers need to be that deep. Has anyone had luck with Estate sales in the PA/DE region? I'm hoping to find some terracotta pots at a good price.

3 comments:

Rachel said...

you can't go wrong with deep! the more room your plants have to reach down into the soil, the bigger and healthier they'll be. try looking in dumpsters for old bathtubs or sinks or something, i bet they would make awesome planters.

My name's Haley said...

The Golden Nugget.
http://www.gnmarket.com/

Shhhhh.

also check craigslist for estate sales.

Sarah Erin said...

True, Rachel! Thanks for the ideas. Maybe I'll find some good stuff around Newark at the end of the school year.

Awesommmmme, thank you Haley! Totally planning to go this weekend.