April 7, 2010

Sweet Potato Vine


I'm attempting to grow a sweet potato in water.

I ogled all of the gorgeous window boxes in Philadelphia's Society Hill last summer, and my mom told me that the vine I envied so much was simply a sweet potato vine. They are the most brilliant yellowy-lime green or deep plum.

I'll keep you posted on the progress.
It feels like I'm doing a 3rd grade experiment, and it's glorious.

Oh, and I couldn't resist posting another ranunculus photo.
Forgive me : )


P.S. What is the difference between "root" "grow" and "propagate?" I'm trying to absorb this gardening vocabulary. It's all pretty new to me. I suppose I could Google it, but I like asking you.

2 comments:

Kiersten said...

No WAY! I always thought those were the prettiest vines too! I hope sprouting it works because I can't wait to see the pretty results!

Anonymous said...

Beloved Granddaughter,
I have grown MANY sweet potato plants in my kitchen windows over the years.

There were times when I couldn't spend any money on house plants (was buyiny a gallon a milk a day etc.) : ), and so I would purchase a sweet potato, cut it in half (I always did this because that is the way I was taught), stuck tooth picks in each half, put it down in a pint fruit jar and in no time at all, I had two plants!

I think you will be pleasantly surprised how quickly your potato will sprout!

Loveforever.....and beyond, G. Peggy