March 18, 2010

Seeking Gardening Advice

Last night I bought a bunch of seeds to start our backyard garden (basil, chives, cilantro, parsley, tomato, squash, zucchini & peppers). I'm a little skeptical about attempting to start all of these from the seed, but this blog post recommended certain plants for it. I'm starting them inside, just as the post recommends.

I'm feeling confident about getting the seeds to sprout, but now it's time to do some research about the part that comes next: transplanting, container gardening, vegetable gardening, etc.

Do you gardeners out there have any favorite gardening books?
I've seen some recommendations for You Grow Girl and Grow Great Grub. Ever check 'em out?

Also, if you have any advice from your own gardening experience (Mom! Grandma Peggy! Avi!), pretty please share your wisdom. I'm excited, but wary of my black thumb.


PS I also just discovered that the April issue of Grid Magazine (towards a sustainable Philadelphia) is all about city gardening! Just grabbed my copy. You can actually see a virtual issue online if you're interested.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dearest Granddaughter:

Sounds very exciting.
I have never attempted to start tomatoes, peppers etc from seed.
My neighbor does every year and has good results.

Keep us posted on the process.

I Love Spring!!! and YOU! : )

G. Peggy