August 8, 2009

More Foods.

Cooking and baking have served as my creative outlet lately. Nothing fancy (I don't think a bowl of cereal counts as cooking), but I've been trying some new every-day stuff. I want to try just about every recipe at Smitten Kitchen. So far everything I've tried from there has been pretty easy to make, inexpensive and delicious.

Loving our plain white Ikea dishes and living room window for food photos.


Clockwise from top left...

Pita Pizzas: a family tradition. To ensure a crispy crust, stick the pita in the oven while you preheat (500ยบ). Prep the toppings. Top pitas (you can use a whole pita or split them), then bake. Great for random leftover veggies.

Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
from Smitten Kitchen. For Scott's lunch (er, I guess I ate a few, too). Great recipe! Didn't have any pecans, but I'm sure they'd make 'em extra delicious.

Breakfast: fresh strawberries, shredded wheat, milk and a pinch of brown sugar.

Crisp Black Bean Tacos with Feta & Slaw from Smitten Kitchen. This recipe is a keeper! I wouldn't normally think of Feta on tacos, but it is an killer touch. And I'm a huge fan of corn tortillas (YAY CORN TORTILLAS!). Tragically, we ran out of Feta half-way through our batch of tacos, but cheddar worked okay. We used field greens instead of cabbage because it's what we had. So fast, so simple, so yummy.

Breakfast: fresh blueberries, kashi granola, milk.

Corn Toasties: from A Good Appetite. Scott got all nostalgic when he saw these at the grocery store. When those ran out, I decided to try and make our own. Perfection! When it's homemade, all the ingredients are things I can pronounce.

And one more recipe that I didn't take a picture of when I made it (because it was too delicious-looking and we couldn't wait to eat it)...

Pizza from Smitten Kitchen. This includes easy-to-understand directions for making your own pizza dough from scratch. The honey is very subtle. It is so simple and so worth it.

I want to bake more than I can possibly eat.

No comments: