August 7, 2009

Mom & Mark Visit

I loved having my Mom & Mark visit more than words can express. I wish I was able to spend more time with them, but hey, I guess the distance makes the visits that much sweeter : )

Thursday we explored Reading Terminal Market (my favorite place to buy produce). Ten limes for a dollar! Two pounds of beautiful Jersey beefsteak tomatoes for a buck! Two pints of blueberries for 99 cents! Can't beat it. We bought food for a picnic later in the day.



On the way back, Brian and his horse, Blueberry, convinced us to do a carriage tour around the historic monuments and 18th century homes (including ours!). I'd been itching to do a tour, since they clip-clop by our house every half-hour, but I was waiting until I saw a tour guide I couldn't resist. Brian won. The volume of his voice reminded us a lot of Brian Fellow. And! He claims to be an extra during a chase seen in the movie National Treasure with Nick Cage (*nod to Becca*). We rented it, and didn't really see him, but I recommend him, no less.

We tried out cheese steaks at John's Roast Pork, a lesser-known steakery to tourists, but we've heard around town that it's the best. I missed the whiz and prefer the chopped-up meat at Jim's, still, but Scott has a new favorite. This house is officially divided.

Thursday night we went to go see a free outdoor screening of Baby Mama (set in Philly!) at Penn's Landing. Hilarious! And, thanks to Brian, we know that Tina Fey is from Philadelphia. Scarfed down our RT Market picnic. Om nom.

Friday we walked to the Italian Market. On the walk, I got my mom to identify every plant on every front stoop. Sweet potato vines are my new favorite (pictured, top left, lime green + purple). We got a bunch of random things at the market for lunch (octopus salad, fancy cheese, bread, pistachio and biscotti gelato), and picked up some fresh-cut linguini, broccoli rabe and sage-sausage for dinner (which Scott made, and it was fantastic).

We like to eat (and I like parentheses).

Friday afternoon my mom and I checked out Fabric Row, in search of curtains for our front window. I was thrilled to have a partner in crime, because I'm completely lost when I go into stores like these by myself. After scouring 15 shops owned by a curious variety of characters, and as the sky was looking rather ominous, we stumbled upon Paul's — window treatment fabric from the 1970's. Bingo. Paul himself is a crotchety old man who didn't seem too pleased that I picked a fabric on the top shelf, but he softened up when he realized it was the same fabric his wife used for their windows.

Or does he say that to everyone?

Just as we were wrapping up, the momentous downpour commenced. We were a solid 12 blocks from home. Without car. Without bicycle. Without umbrella. We booked it. Soaking. Drenched. Sopping wet. People pointed from the store windows. Creepy men laughed. Ankle-deep puddles. Warm summer rain. Glorious. (Pictured, top right).

Saturday we decided to get some exercise since we'd been such gluttonous pigs (though we'd done a lot of walking!). We did a 20-mile bike ride on the Schuylkill River Trail. Absolutely gorgeous, and much to my liking because there were almost no hills. Just prettiness. Everybody was super patient with me since I'm still getting the hang of biking. Working on those crowded-city-intersection starts.

Grabbed lunch at the weekend Farmers Market at 2nd & Pine. The pork tacos. Ohhh, the pork tacos. With a chunk of grilled pineapple. Cilantro. Corn tortillas. Oh-so-yummy. Not to be missed.

Saturday afternoon we collapsed. Taught the 'rents how to play Dr. Mario. Chris, you better watch out. Mom's comin' to getcha. Ok not really, she didn't get past level six. Not bad for one day, though! She couldn't put it down.

Early Sunday morning we bid adieu. They're off to Canada for a week of cycling. Go team!

And phew. That's it! Two weeks worth of food in three days!

Mom & Mark, I love you and I hope you visit again before too long : ) It means so much to me that you made the trek out this far to see us in our new home and city! Hope you had as much fun as I did.

Saved for next time: Battleship New Jersey & the Philadelphia Art Museum

3 comments:

Trent said...

Looks like you had a great time! I've been really wanting to do a Northeast vacation sometime. We'll talk.

BRIAN FELLOW'S SAFARI PLANET! BRIAN FELLOW'S SAFARI PLANET! BRIAN FELLOW'S SAFARI PLANET! BRIAN FELLOW'S SAFARI PLANET! BRIAN FELLOW'S SAFARI PLANET! BRIAN FELLOW'S SAFARI PLANET! BRIAN FELLOW'S SAFARI PLANET! BRIAN FELLOW'S SAFARI PLANET! BRIAN FELLOW'S SAFARI PLANET! BRIAN FELLOW'S SAFARI PLANET!

Sarah Erin said...

Haha suddenly I can't get enough Safari Planet it my life. Thanks for the comment, Trent!

The aero bed awaits. : )

Anonymous said...

Sarah-
I've been enjoying your blog since it's inception! I just couldn't resist a comment when I saw all the parentheses. I know that's the plural, but another "es" should be ... as in "hippopotamuses". Well, not quite like that, but you know what I mean. Hehe.
Thanks for sharing all of the pictures from the trip to the Smoky Mountains. I just got to them today due to a storm knocking out our internet.
God's Blessings and I'll keep enjoying your blog.
Brad
#3
Leon etc.