August 6, 2009

Focaccia, Round 1

I'm eager to try bread-making lately. I've heard focaccia is one of the easiest for beginners, so I started there (after a horribly failed attempt at french bread). I used this recipe, but I changed the toppings up a bit. I used sundried tomatoes, red onion, big slices of fresh garlic, rosemary and coarse kosher salt.



The recipe only tells you to let it rise once and then punch it down, but we were skeptical. I had enough from the one recipe to fill two of my 9" cake pans, so after dividing the dough and spreading it into both pans, I followed the original directions for one, and let the second one rise for another hour. Before sticking the second one in the oven, I pushed a few of the toppings down into the dough again.

The second way (pictured, rise twice) is definitely the way to go.

I also had to bake mine for longer than 20 minutes (both times), and it still never got very golden brown on top. Tastes good, though!

Om nom nom.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Now that looks VERY tasty. Wouldn't mind having a piece right now!

Curt