March 20, 2009

Shamrocks


I'm craving spring, if you couldn't tell. Treated myself to a cute little shamrock plant for three bucks. The little white flowers are so cute and dainty!

I'm pretty sure my mom had one of these for several years. I remember it sitting on the kitchen table when she made us green eggs & ham for St. Pat's. Its leaves and flowers close up during the night, and open up wide during the day. It still fascinates me every morning.

I fear that I'm becoming the cat lady of plants. I've never owned a plant until this year, but now I have a shamrock, a huge corn plant, basil (growing strong!), mint, aloe (courtesy of mom), pothos, snake plant (mother-in-law's tongue), and a teeny tiny money tree. They make my living space feel alive and happy. I guess the plant obsession is in my genes, but I sure do have a lot of learning to do.

I recently read about the Purple Heart, and I kinda want one of those. Anybody have a cutting to spare?

No comments: