April 9, 2008

My Pharmacist Thinks I'm Weird

I think it's safe to say this is the first time I've ever been excited to pick up a prescription. Thanks to Target's (relatively) new packaging, and now prices that are competitive with WalMart's $4 generic RX deal (not that I frequent WalMart), I was actually happy when my doctor wrote me a prescription for something. I could finally check out Target's beauteous bottles for myself. And no worries, I didn't play hypochondriac or anything.


Even the bag is perfect.


So I'll back up a minute here, because you are probably wondering where all this drug-bottle enthusiasm came from.

Last year I did a presentation on the case study for ClearRx (a prescription bottle re-design by SVA's Deborah Adler). Adler noticed a problem that hadn't been addressed in decades: prescription bottles that are hard to read and easily confused with other pill bottles in the same cabinet. She came up with a brilliant solution, SafeRx, which was adopted by Target, and is now called ClearRx.

If you haven't already, I highly recommend you take a moment to check out this website devoted to the project. It's so fascinating.

So, I guess I've been pretty healthy, because I haven't needed many prescriptions since I first read about this project. Now that I have a toothache (ouch!), at least there's a silver lining. I got to check out some awesome packaging for myself.

To sum up why I am so thrilled about pill packaging, it's because this case study perfectly illustrates why I love design:

Design can make peoples' lives better.

So even though I'm a little slow at getting around to it, thank you Target, for being brave enough and smart enough to run with Adler's brilliant idea.

3 comments:

Garret Ohm said...

Awesome post, Sarah. Those bottles ARE really well designed, and are much better than the crummy CVS ones. Matter of fact, I've been meaning to switch over since I got into a verbal sparring match with the grumpy old pharmacist there a few weeks back. Maybe I'll check out Target. I hope whatever ails you gets better soon.

P.s. I've been to that Target on Ritchie. It's much nicer now that they remodeled it!

diverted said...

i remember your case study. cool.

Sarah Erin said...

Thanks, Garret! The cool bottle design alone was enough to me want to switch to Target's pharmacy, but I'm sorry and happy for you at the same time that your grumpy pharmacist is giving you extra reason to make the switch.

And hiya dad. Thanks for stopping by.

: )