March 2, 2008

My Etsy Favorites

I've never really explained Etsy, for those who aren't sure what it is. Their about page sums it up pretty well (of course):

Etsy is an online marketplace for buying & selling all things handmade. Our mission is to enable people to make a living making things, and to reconnect makers with buyers. Our vision is to build a new economy and present a better choice:

Buy, Sell, and Live Handmade.


Anyone can start an Etsy shop for free, and I believe it only costs $0.20 to list each item. And anyone can buy from Etsy. Buyers can search for items in a variety of ways (categories, keywords, and even by color!). And all you have to do is add items to your cart, pay through paypal, and voila. The artist ships directly to you.

I discovered it after shopping at a local museum shop – I asked the cashier if I could get in touch with the artist of a piece I liked in the shop, and they told me the seller's Etsy Shop name. How cool! Etsy makes it so easy to find inexpensive, yet very personal gifts.

I also love how you can read about each seller on his/her profile. I like to know where it all comes from.

So now I present list #2 (although I'm reluctant to share my favorites with you, because you might go buy them and many are one-of-a-kind!).


My Current Etsy Favorites

1. Tony Lama Brown Leather Belt, $65. Loving this belt buckle, and wishing so much that it was the letter S instead. But hey, an R would work for my last name. I'm very intrigued by belt buckles lately. You can find this one at DesertRoseVintage.

2. Flutterby Earrings, $34. How great are these earrings? I love the slight asymmetry. Find them at GoodGirlStudio.

3. Awakening Earrings, $18. Pure milky white glass beads accented by brass flowers. Sadly, I'd probably be allergic to these babies, so go ahead and buy 'em! From Rokdarbi.

4. Orange You Glad Earrings, $3. Need I say more? Adorable. And cheap! From BRadleyBB.

5. Trio Silkscreen Print, $8. Fabulous colors. I recently realized I've always been attracted to butterflies. I think that actual dead butterflies in a frame are kind of creepy, but I love how the simplicity of this print plays on those displays but still has a wonderful (un-dead) graphic quality. I really don't want you to buy it (unless it's a gift for me), but it's from Redux4U.

PS You can also check out this article that the NY Times recently did on Etsy. Thanks Dad : )

3 comments:

Kiersten said...

Sarah, I semi-resent but mostly love your blogs about the things you find on Etsy. I want it all!!!

I just procrastinated for like 40 minutes looking at things. You're going to be the first person I tell when I order my first etsy purchase :)

Sarah Erin said...

Hey Kiersten! You resent my blogs about Etsy? Hmm!

I want it all, too. I keep hoping that people will get the hint, but it hasn't helped yet. Haha.

And yes, it is seriously an addiction. You can just keep on clicking and clicking and adding to your favorites.

Please do tell me when you make your first purchase.

By the way, I think you might enjoy this.

Kiersten said...

AHHHHH! Holy Schnikeys!

I only resent your etsy blogs because they're so distracting ;)

Like now!!