January 23, 2008

The Sunday Soup #4


I won't fidget with the truth. I'm posting this on Wednesday. And we made the soup on Monday. But I'm going to just admit to all that, and still call it The Sunday Soup.

This week we made Emeril's Favorite Tortilla Soup. And I dare say, we slightly modified the recipe to our taste (I know, I know, modify Emeril?). So I'm giving you the link if you want the pure recipe.

It was absolutely fantastic and very easy!

Tortilla Soup

(based off Emeril's)

2 T. olive oil
1 c. chopped onions
2 t. chopped garlic
1 poblano pepper, seeded and chopped
1 1/2 t. ground cumin
1/2 t. ground coriander
1 T. tomato paste
5 c. chicken stock
1 c. water
3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into small pieces (raw)
1/4 c. chopped fresh cilantro leaves
1.5 T. fresh lime juice
sour cream

• Heat oil on medium, in stock pot
• Add the onions, garlic, peppers, cumin, and coriander for 5 minutes
• Add the tomato paste and cook, stirring, for 1 minute
• Add the chicken stock and water, bring to a simmer
• Simmer for 20 minutes
• Add the raw chicken and simmer for 5 minutes
• Add the cilantro and lime juice, and stir well
• Remove from the heat and cover to keep warm


And don't forget the tortilla strips. They are a total necessity.
Sorry to you health nuts out there.


Tortilla Strips

2 c. vegetable oil, for frying
6 stale corn tortillas, cut into 1/4-inch-thick strips
2 T. Essence (mixture of spices – find recipe here)

• Heat the oil in a heavy pot or electric fryer to 350 degrees F
• Add the tortilla strips in batches
• Fry until golden and crisp, 1 1/2 to 2 minutes
• Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels
• Season with the Essence


Garnish each serving with the fried tortilla strips and sour cream.

Serves 6.

4 comments:

Scott Zero said...

BAM!

Anonymous said...

Sounds delicious. I think I will try.

(ps: a little secret) The first time I read through the recipe, I thought it said toritilla chips, and I was wondering how in the world to you cut them into strips!?So you see, Grandmother not only says the wrong word sometimes, types the wrong word often, but also occasionally reads the wrong word. Oh well, I live among understanding folks.

Just thought I would add this, since honesty seems to be the theme of the day.

How I do love YOU (and that is the HONEST truth. G. Peggy

Sue said...

this looks ridiculously ridiculously good looking!

and my word verification, if you were interested, was "flopsuvag," which sounds like a combination of beatrix potter's "flopsy" and the word "vagina"... endlessly as amusing as it is creepy

Sarah Erin said...

Do try it G. Peggy!! It's so good!

And Sue, flopsuvag cracked me up. I usually don't post such vulgar words on my blog, missy! But you, I can forgive. Flopsuvag. Hehe. So wrong.