November 3, 2007

The Darjeeling Limited



Two thumbs up from me. It's slightly more normal than other Wes Anderson films, and I think that might be why I liked it a little more (forgive me, true cult Wes Anderson fans). But now I have to go back and re-watch his past films, because I may appreciate them more now.

The visuals in this movie were absolutely gorgeous (even more than usual). The colors, the set, the patterns, the type on the signs, the music, the timing... everything. What a complete package. Brilliant!

You can download the short (The Darjeeling Limited Part 1) for free on iTunes.

And! I went to Bissinger's before the movie, and my old boss was there. He gave me free chocolate for my birthday! Yesssss.

Happy Birthday to me. So far I like being 23 : )

6 comments:

rewired said...

Good to hear a positive review of that movie! I'll take your recommendation to see it.

Hippo Birdie 2 ewe! Hippo Birdie 2 ewe!
Hippo Birdie!!

I hope you had a great day!

Loveya,
Peggy-mom

Sarah Erin said...

I actually hadn't read any reviews before I went to the movie, but to be honest, if I had, I would've seen it anyway.

The reviews seem to say it's bad because it's too weird and the plot wanders a lot.

It is weird. And the plot does wander. And it's true that I'm not sure where the movie was going the whole time. But I liked it anyway.

Wes Anderson films are definitely not for everyone. If you don't pick up on the subtle cues and you don't appreciate the really odd, quirky humor, then they aren't for you.

But I enjoyed it, and I think you will, too, Peggy! : )

Thanks for the birdie wishes!

Robyn said...

ha! i like peggy-mom.

i once gave the most adorable card ever to sam with pictures illustrating the "hippo birdie 2-ewe" song, and i wish i could have bought out the whole stock so i could give them out to everyone on every birthday. it was that cute.

sooooo, hippo bee-lated birdie 2-ewe! and gooooooood luck on new experiences in the next few weeks!

miss you!

My name's Haley said...

Yo dude. I found David Sedaris's recommended reading list and thought you'd be interested.

Congrats on the new job!

http://www.barclayagency.com/sedaris_sr.html

WendyB said...

Happy birthday! I thought the movie was okay. The "metaphor" of the baggage was just so literal and clumsy, it was irritating me. I thought all the actors were great, the script not so much. Visuals were really nice (minus the baggage).

Sarah Erin said...

Thanks Robyn! I miss you too!

Oooh Haley, I will check it out, thank you thank you!

Hello there Wendy! Thanks for commenting. It does seem that die-hard Wes Anderson folks don't like Darjeeling as much as the others. Maybe the beauty of it really swayed me. Who knows.