August 31, 2007

Kent Pendant

This pendant, about 2" across, is my single most-worn piece of jewelry. I love it, and I'm so lucky to have it. Gran, my mom's mom, gave it to me a couple of years ago, and I put it on a strand of pearls that Mark, my stepdad, brought back for me from Singapore when I was about 8. They were the perfect match for each other.


Sadly, the pendant's origin is a mystery. First, my mom said her dad, ("Pa" to me), gave it to her when she was in high school. But now she's not so sure, and nobody seems to remember where it came from.

Maybe Pa will remember. Hmm.

[Edit: Gran does remember where it's from! She says, "When I worked at the Woolworth Store during high school, those sort of things were very popular and I thought it looked really great with all my sloppy sweaters...so I bought it at the dimestore, and it became a favorite. I had very few jewelry pieces and got lots of compliments on my Kent Pendant. Even grown-ups wanted to know the origin. I continued wearing it until my black hair turned white, and I stopped wearing anything other than silver." Loving this little story :) ]

1 comment:

Gran said...

I wish I could tell you that it came down from the British Monarchy...but the truth is when I worked at the Woolworth Store during high school, those sort of things were very popular and I thought it looked really great with all my sloppy sweaters...so I bought it at the dimestore, and it became a favorite.

I had very few jewelry pieces and got lots of compliments on my Kent Pendant. Even grown-ups wanted to know the origin. I continued wearing it until my black hair turned white, and I stopped wearing anything other than silver.

I'm sure you wanted a more romantic history of the piece, but that's the best I can do. Tee Hee

Look forward to seeing you next month.

Love, Gran