July 30, 2007

Merri Gelato

Homemade gelato? The mom's been experimenting with recipes, and she sent me this one. If you follow this recipe, I'm sure it's perfect. However, I'm a beginner and a recent college grad with no real job, and my friend just gave me a free 3 lb. bag of frozen strawberries, blackberries & raspberries (thanks Mark!). So Scott & I used 2lbs of that instead of buying fresh strawberries. Although it tastes delicious, I gotta admit that it froze a little icier than we would've hoped. I still recommend the recipe.

Ingredients
1 c. hot water
1 c. sugar
2 lbs. fresh strawberries
1 T. fresh lemon juice
1 c. heavy whipping cream

In a small, heavy saucepan, heat sugar and water, stirring until sugar is dissolved. Cool this syrup. (*Cringe* I know this is a dry measuring cup, that's Scott. So much for being a precise scientist)

Trim strawberries and puree using food processor or blender.

Stir in lemon juice and syrup.

Whip cream until thickened. (It's pink in the picture because we didn't rinse out the food processor between the berries & the cream steps).

Fold into strawberry mixture.


Place in airtight container and freeze for 2 hours. It looked so good, we almost just stopped and ate it now. Well, actually, we kinda did eat some now... oops.

Return mixture to food processor or blender and puree. Bubbles!

Freeze and additional 2 hours. Enjoy before gelato freezes solid. (This is a little too melted, like I said, our consistency was off because we froze it for too short a time... then too long... but if you follow the instructions written, it'll probably have a better consistency). See me in the spoon? Hi!
Yum Yum! I don't have any bowls (hey man, I'm movin out in two weeks), so I took a picture on a plate instead of the red plastic solo cups that we actually ate from. Yeah slightly post-college.

By the way, I was naughty and posted dessert before dinner. Check out our homemade pizza competition. Don't miss the animated gif! And yeah, it takes us a long time to eat whenever we make something pretty, because we stop and take pictures for our awesome blogs. Cue Kiersten and Courtney teasing.

6 comments:

Kiersten said...

I swear I won't tease you... I'm glad that you "blog it!"

Mayhaps I am just jealous that you eat delicious food *all the time*

:)

Courtney said...

kiersten beat me to the punch! oh well... it does look really good though!

Blessed said...

Dear Sarah and Scott:

What fun....and it looks delicious.
I just love the step by step pictures and commentary.

I, too, have a really great recipe for Gelato.

Grab the billfold.

Walk out front door...don't need to lock, only be gone a few minutes.

Amble (is that really a word) half a block to one of two establishments that sell the yummiest you can imagine. One of them has a long list of flavors.

Walk quickly (no "ambling" here) back to front porch, sit down and watch the world go by as you enjoy this wonderful treat.

For best resuslts...find a neighbor or friend to go with you.

I think the shoes are great! And VERY sophiscated and graphic designery...as are you!

Love Ya, big time...

Be safe and Be happy. G. Peggy

Hillary said...

That strawberry gelato looks FANTASTIC! Recipe4Living.com is running a Strawberry Surprise Contest. You should submit this recipe!

Anonymous said...

Oooh, yummy! I've been craving ice cream lately! Although gelato is not really ice cream I could have eaten that, for sure!
I did find a great little ice cream treat at Trader Joe's just last night...Bon Bons! Chocolate on the outside, chocolate on the inside with a chocolate cookie on the bottom. You get a dozen of these delectable, delicious, decadent delights for only 60 calories each!! Satisfaction guaranteed! Only $3.69!
I'm gonna have one right now!
Pmomma

Sarah Erin said...

Kiersten - nice use of the word "mayhaps." Haven't heard that one before. Aren't you just full of surprises. Maybe I'll blog it.

Court - thanks :)

Grandma Peggy - that recipe sounds fantastic! I'll have to try it with you sometime. How's August?

Hillary - thanks for the tip, I'll check out the website. Thanks for visiting my blog, too!

Peggy - mmmm, too bad the nearest Trader Joe's is about 25 minutes away and it's a big production to go. Soon enough I'll be back in STL where they're all around. Woo!